Jay's Book Reviews

This blog contains my thoughts on books I've read. Everything in here is my opinion only, so feel free to disagree with it. The main page contains only the latest review, so check out the archives and the recent posts for other reviews. If you arrived at this page via a search engine, there are probably newer posts at the main blog.

Other Blogs by Jay:

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I'm a college professor with a wide range of interests, including social gaming, problem solving, organic food, spirituality, internet marketing, and others.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Time Machines, edited by Bill Adler, Jr.

Time Machines is an anthology of short stories, all about time.

Normally, I find anthologies to be a mixed bag, and this book is no exception. There are some very good stories in here, stories that make you think and make you laugh. One of my favorites is Who's Cribbing, in which a science fiction author discovers that his works are being plagiarized, by a writer from the past!

There are also a couple of interesting stories that explore just how much time a time traveler can pack into their last moments of life. What would it be like, knowing how you would die in the present, but having the limitless past to explore in the meantime?

Like any anthology, though, there are some stories that seem more like mood and/or characterization pieces than anything with a plot. This seems to be a tendency in short stories these days. If you like that sort of thing, it's in here, too.

Overall, I'd give the collection of stories a middling rating. I read it because of an abiding love of time travel, and there were enough stories that scratched that itch for me that I enjoyed reading the book. Enough stories in the book dealt more with the nature of time, though, than with actual time machines to make the title a bit misrepresentative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home