Jay's Book Reviews

This blog contains my thoughts on books I've read. Everything in here is my opinion only, so feel free to disagree with it. The main page contains only the latest review, so check out the archives and the recent posts for other reviews. If you arrived at this page via a search engine, there are probably newer posts at the main blog.

Other Blogs by Jay:

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

I'm a college professor with a wide range of interests, including social gaming, problem solving, organic food, spirituality, internet marketing, and others.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Chronoliths, by Robert Charles Wilson

The Chronoliths is a novel about mysterious monoliths that appear, apparently sent from the future.

Wilson writes this in his typical style, by taking main character and getting us to care about what happens to him, and interleaving this with the world shaking events heralded by the appearance of the chronoliths. So the writing itself is good, very good.

The book's main focus seems to be the nature of time and causality, and the role of fate in our lives. While I cannot honestly say I enjoyed the ending, I enjoyed the reading of the book a great deal. Many other books that deal with the same subject forget to have you care about the main character. In The Chronoliths, finding out what happened to the main character kept me interested, while finding out where and when the chronoliths were coming from become secondary for me.

If you've enjoyed other books by Wilson, you'll no doubt enjoy this one, too. If you've found his other books to be a bit hard to get into, this one won't be any different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home